Monday, March 4, 2013


Many times as parents we run into the problem of not being able to properly assist our kids with their homework. For whatever reason; either we did not go as far in school as we desired to go or we just have not had that particular type of work in many years. Either way, it is frustrating! Going forward, we need someone to just give us some ideas on how to conquer this issue.

Well, as a mother, I came up with a solution to that problem. Some may not feel as if this will work for you or you may feel it was not the right way to handle it. Others may rave at the idea of "just having an idea". I say, “Desperate times deserve desperate measures.”

Anyway...

So my daughter brought home some math homework that she had no idea how to do. I took a look and it
 and what do you know? I didn't know how to do it either. Funny? Sad? Shameful?

At first, I was a bit embarrassed because even though I had a degree, I still did not remember how to do the homework she was doing because I had not seen it for years. So, what do I do? She had waited until just before going to bed to tell me this. I was sort of angry, but didn't want to show it. I gave her the “you know you are supposed to do your homework and ask me any questions by ? pm” speech. "Ok, now that all of that is over, how are you going to show her how to do this work?" I thought to myself. I panicked…my sister is a math teacher so, I can call her. Great, no problem!



















Ring….ring…..ring….no answer.

  
Quickly throwing my HTC mobile phone to the curb...I panicked more. I look at my daughter and began scolding her about the responsibility of taking notes and asking questions early and more importantly making sure that she ask question before she leaves school. “That teacher is there to help….” Then I stop and think to myself, “Besides the fact that she is falling asleep on me, this is doing her no good. She fully understands her mistake. Enough is enough. Either you let her go to bed and get a “0” on her homework once she gets to school (not a chance), you try to stay up and do it for her (completely out of the question), or figure out how to find a solution for learning how to do it.”


Ok, so let’s think, ah…”where is your book?” I asked my daughter. Duh. My heart smiles. Then, suddenly, she says, “we are not allowed to bring them home”. “In what world?” I reply. I am furious now. The panic sinks back in; just when I thought I had figured it all out, I realized that it is well passed her bed time now and we have no solution.

At the time, this was my first time running into this problem because my kids were much younger and they never had any work harder than simple mathematic problems. I think and think and think. While holding my head down and still gazing harshly at her worksheet, I see an extremely long website address at the bottom of the page. I think…hmmm. What is this? I figured it was a Website her teacher was on at some point during that day, but I type it in the Web address box anyway and low and behold appear a worksheet that looks just like the one I was holding in my hand. “Well, I’ll be.” I slowly turned the computer from my daughter and withheld my excitement because I was not sure exactly what I had stumbled upon.

Strolling down the Web page I saw another worksheet, except this one had red writing in the blank where the answers should go. “Could it be? I thought to myself. Could I have found the whole, entire worksheet, including an explanation of how to work the problem and the answers? Well, color me blue and call me Suzie! THERE IS A GOD!!!”

No, of course I know there’s a God. I was just thinking that loudly in my head as the sweat from the previous panic attack streamed down my face and trickled across my nose. See how easy it is to fall into the category to be prescribed Xanax or Prosac? NOT!!! It was short lived, believe me. :)

So, being the sweet, but responsible mother that I was, I decided not to allow my child to see that I had found the answers. Now, what would I have done if I had seen her running to get the computer every time she could not do her own work and there she would be sitting there with the answer sheet in front of her? No siree. I won’t have that!

Instead, I told her I had found an explanation of how to work the problem. Of course we had to work it a few times to get the answer I had seen so, we did that and we figured it out. HALLELUJAH! Thank you Jesus!!! (I am very spiritual by the way).

I was so relieved--we finished. Does anyone have a Tylenol? Lol I also incorporated a few learning strategies as we went. (I assumed her teacher had done the same, although she thought it was robbery to take notes, but who’s judging?)

I said ALL of that to say this. “Parents can teach too”. We just have to listen to our kids, take time to find out the problem, and know that to every problem-there IS a solution. Oh and as for the idea, LOOK IT UP! +Google  IT! DO SOMETHING!    There IS a teacher inside of you! Let that child know that there are several ways to handle a situation…and….Never Give up!

Useful links:
+IXL
+LearnFunGo

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the helpful information. I needed some encouragement to better my family. I am a stay at home mom and after reading and exploring this site, it has given me so much confidence in myself. My child is learning now at school and at home, Thank you again for your useful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. Angela, I am so happy to be of help to someone. I really did have a hard time myself, so I know how it feels to be a bit lost when trying to help your child at home. My goal is to be able to help other mothers(and)fathers who are trying to help their children.

    ReplyDelete